Without a doubt we now live much more of our lives online and through social media. In this article on Mashable, the trend of social media vacations is discussed. A “vacation” from social media is temporarily deactivating your account or taking a hiatus for a while.
Personally, I have seen an increasing number of friends temporally deactivate their accounts for an escape. Sometimes it is to avoid someone or because they are going through a sensitive time. The article states that the most common reason cited for a social media vacation was irrelevant updates and a lack of time.
The article reports some interesting statistics about our social media use.
– 40% of adults have more than one social networking profile
– The average adult manages 3.1 email addresses (up from 2.6 a year ago)
– 35% of those surveyed spend more than 31 minutes a day on social media.
– 60% of users experience anxiety on social media
Questions to discuss:
1) Have you taken, or considered taking a break from social media?
2) What does this trend say about our behavior/habits with social media?